Promenade Beach - Pondicherry
Stretched over a distance of 1.5 kms, the Promenade beach or the Promenade street lies alongside the main Pondicherry Beach (rock beach). It is also known as the Goubert Avenue.
There are a very few beaches on the east coast of India, which are popular amongst tourists and Promenade beach is one of them. Hence, something like trading along the shores of the beach during an early morning to catch the sunrise is a wonderful experience. Other activities such as jogging, cycling, practicing yoga etc are always a delight at Promenade beach.
The beach is adorned with monuments and statues of great leaders. Several landmarks like the infamous statue of Joan of Arc, War Memorial, the statue of Mahatma Gandhi, Joseph Francois Dupleix statue, the Old Light House, the Heritage Town Hall and the Old Customs House are situated there. The Gandhi statue is surrounded by eight tall monolithic structures. War memorials stand erected on the Promenade to commemorate the death of the soldiers of the French army who sacrificed their lives in the First World War. These statues are reminiscent of the French colonial rule in Pondicherry.
How do I get there?
The tourists may reach the Promenade beach through the White Town in Pondicherry. You can fly to Chennai and use the bus transportation to reach Pondicherry as it is well connected both by road and rail. Another railway station is Villipuram, 10 kms from Pondicherry. Both, Government and private luxury buses ply from Bangalore to Pondicherry and back.
Where to stay?
The Promenade Resort is the finest place to book your stay while you visit the Promenade beach. Other hotels such as the Richmond, Hotel Du Parc and Gratitude Heritage are reputed names as well. For travel enquiries one can visit the Tourist Information Centre, situated at the heritage building that faces the sea.
What do I carry?
Beach wear along with some good music and a book is the ideal option to complement this marvellous beach. Plan your itinerary in advance as there are many Indian army band events and mouth watering cuisines to relish. Shell bags are a good option if you would like to see a smile on your child's face once he/she got their collection sorted.
By - Avni Mehrotra
- Travelling to Lakshadweep
- For travelers who love to bask in the sun on vast beaches, Lakshadweep is the perfect destination to visit. The clean ...
- Never been to Andaman & Nicobar Islands?
- Everyone deserves a break from work, studies and other reasons to list. But as always we end up going to popular ...
- Reaching the Sunburn Venue
- The Sunburn festival is one of the most popular beach parties in India. Tourists from all over the world come to Goa to ...
- J.W. Marriott
- Planning to spend a luxurious time in Mumbai where you can wake up in spacious rooms and enjoy an enchanting ...
- Taj Lands End
- Located near one of the cleanest beaches of the city, the TheTaj Lands End, Bandra is one of the finest picks ...
- If you head off on a vacation to Alibaug looking for peace and tranquility, the Radisson Resort & Spa in ...
- Situated opposite the Hillwood School, the Cambay Hotel is sprawled across 25 acres of land in the capital city of ...
- Taj Lake Palace-Udaipur
- Ever felt like living that fairytale honeymoon fit for Kings and Queens? Then you surely need to visit the Taj Lake ...