Shankumugham Beach - Kerala
The Shankumugham Beach is located in close proximity to Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala's capital city. Long stretches of white sand, the idealistic view of sunrise and sunset and the tranquil atmosphere makes it a must visit place in Kerala, God's own country.
Why Shankumugham beach?
It is by far the most famous beach in Thiruvananthapuram and so if you are on a visit to the city, ensure that you visit the beach for sure. It is nicely done with lean-back chairs and beach umbrellas. You get a miniature idea of Kerala on the whole once you are at the beach. Shakumugham's picturesque location aptly explains as to why Kerala is called "God's own country".
Shops and food joints are all lined up by the seashore. Be sure to catch a meal at the famous Star Fish Restaurant and make sure that you do not miss out on the open air theatre. An aquarium close by, traffic training park for kids and artists showing off their sculpting talents around the beach are major attractions with the visitors. Famous sculptor Sri Kunjuraman's work 'Nymph' or the Matsya Kanya is non-arguably the most famous of all the places to watch out by the beach side. Shanghumugham Devi Temple is close by and is worth watching during the festive seasons.
Where do I stay?
Stay options in Thiruvananthapuram are wide ranged, from 5-star luxury suites to budget hotels, the place has it for all. Grand Central Hotel and Saj Lucia are two of the best luxurious accommodation nearby. Hotel Magic Days and Kadaloram Beach Resort are good options if you are looking for mid budget accommodation. For the low cost budgeted hotels, hotel Horizon is the apt choice.
How do I get there?
Rail: Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala is well connected to major railway junctions across the country. About 8 km from the beach, it is the closest railhead.
Air: You could take a flight to Thiruvananthapuram International Airport and hire a taxi to the beach.
Road: The roads to the beach are well maintained and with friendly people around, finding the way to the beach is not much of a problem.
What do I carry?
Carry along your beachwear, sun screen or suntan lotion and sun glasses. Have some extra cash as you would find it tempting to resist shopping once you are at the beach as well as the mouth watering food made at the restaurants by the beach.
- Travelling to Lakshadweep
- For travelers who love to bask in the sun on vast beaches, Lakshadweep is the perfect destination to visit. The clean ...
- Never been to Andaman & Nicobar Islands?
- Everyone deserves a break from work, studies and other reasons to list. But as always we end up going to popular ...
- Reaching the Sunburn Venue
- The Sunburn festival is one of the most popular beach parties in India. Tourists from all over the world come to Goa to ...
- J.W. Marriott
- Planning to spend a luxurious time in Mumbai where you can wake up in spacious rooms and enjoy an enchanting ...
- Taj Lands End
- Located near one of the cleanest beaches of the city, the TheTaj Lands End, Bandra is one of the finest picks ...
- If you head off on a vacation to Alibaug looking for peace and tranquility, the Radisson Resort & Spa in ...
- Situated opposite the Hillwood School, the Cambay Hotel is sprawled across 25 acres of land in the capital city of ...
- Taj Lake Palace-Udaipur
- Ever felt like living that fairytale honeymoon fit for Kings and Queens? Then you surely need to visit the Taj Lake ...