Somnath Beach - Gujrat
The holistic Somnath beach is located at a distance of 6 Kms from the Veraval beach. The close proximity between the two is reason why their names are taken in a single breath. The beach is 25 kms from Chorwad beach and 80 km from Junagad. The nearest airport is Keshod at a distance of 55 km.
The beach is famously known as an auspicious spot in Hindu Mythology. The Somnath Temple has one of the the twelve 'Jyotirlingas of Shiva'. Legacy has it that the temple first appeared in gold, then in silver, after that in wood and finally in stone. Its wealth came to the attention of Mahmud of Ghazni, who battered and scuffed it taking all its riches to Afghanistan. The present day temple though reduced in ancient grandeur still stands tall with grace. Devotees from all over the country flock throughout the year to pay their respects to Lord Shiva. Moreover, the most spectacular aspect of the temple is its location that overlooks the blue waters of the Arabian sea.
Apart from the temple, a magnificent sight at the Somnath beach is the fishng port, where thousands of people unload their big catch. For those of you who take to the beauty that nature and wildlife has to offer, you would definitely fancy an excursion to Sasan, the headquarters of the Gir National park and wildlife sanctuary.
How do I get there?
The nearest railway station is Junagarh which is at a distance of about 80km. Keshod is the nearest Air terminus. Buses, taxies and tourist vehicles are available from Keshod air terminus and Junagad in order to reach Somnath. Buses from the state also offer transportation directly to this destination.
Where do I stay?
Due to the close proximity of the Somnath and Veraval beach, can opt for accomodation between the two. Park is the leading hotel at Veraval beach while Safari Hotel & Resort does offer a luxurious stay in Somnath. Visitors can also avail dharmshalas and guest houses besides other hotels that offer a direct beach-facing view.
What do I carry?
Camera, fishing gear and swimsuits - that's all you would need here.
By - Avni Mehrotra
- Travelling to Lakshadweep
- For travelers who love to bask in the sun on vast beaches, Lakshadweep is the perfect destination to visit. The clean ...
- Never been to Andaman & Nicobar Islands?
- Everyone deserves a break from work, studies and other reasons to list. But as always we end up going to popular ...
- Reaching the Sunburn Venue
- The Sunburn festival is one of the most popular beach parties in India. Tourists from all over the world come to Goa to ...
- J.W. Marriott
- Planning to spend a luxurious time in Mumbai where you can wake up in spacious rooms and enjoy an enchanting ...
- Taj Lands End
- Located near one of the cleanest beaches of the city, the TheTaj Lands End, Bandra is one of the finest picks ...
- If you head off on a vacation to Alibaug looking for peace and tranquility, the Radisson Resort & Spa in ...
- Situated opposite the Hillwood School, the Cambay Hotel is sprawled across 25 acres of land in the capital city of ...
- Taj Lake Palace-Udaipur
- Ever felt like living that fairytale honeymoon fit for Kings and Queens? Then you surely need to visit the Taj Lake ...